error `c-lang-defconst' must be used in a file

From: Michael
Subject: error `c-lang-defconst' must be used in a file
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I am trying to use GNU Emacs (version 23.1.1, cc-mode version 5.31.7)
on a server at work and load a very simple .emacs initialisation file
whose first two lines are essentially:
*** snip ***
(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/" load-path))
(require 'ox-mode)
*** snip ***
the latter of which is a major mode for the Ox programming language,
provided by John Zedlewski (http://www.johnzed.com/code/oxmode/) and
based on derived-mode-ex.el by Martin Stjernholm.

Yet when loading an Ox file I get the error message:
*** snip ***
error `c-lang-defconst' must be used in a file
*** snip ***

I am unfortunately at a loss as to how this can be solved. Using the --
debug-init option gives a backtrace of 10 lines or so which, being a
novice, I do not know how to interpret.

The two configuration files seem to work fine when I use them on my
home machine (GNU Emacs 22.1.1 and cc-mode 5.31.4). At least, I don't
get this error message.

Any help or suggestion on solving this problem are appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michael