Re: How do I convert hex numbers to decimal ?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How do I convert hex numbers to decimal ?
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 00:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 6, 9:03 pm, bolega <gnuist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of related questions, but the solution is desired in
> emacs lisp and to work inside emacs only.
>
> 1) How do I convert hex numbers to decimal ?
> 2) How do I convert ascii to the character that it represents, short
> of a table ? Any function or simpler algorithm ?
> 3) What are the variables and how to set their values ?
>
> read-quoted-char-radix
> quoted-char-radix
>
> 4) How do i find the emacs lisp code for C-x = to see how it gives the
> ascii of the char at the cursor and then use to find the reverse, ie
> ascii to char ?
>
> Thanks a lot to the star who can explain.

Emacs Lisp has

     (string-to-number string &optional base)

     Parse string as a decimal number and return the number.
     This parses both integers and floating point numbers.
     It ignores leading spaces and tabs.

     If base, interpret string as a number in that base.  If base
isn't
     present, base 10 is used.  base must be between 2 and 16
(inclusive).
     If the base used is not 10, floating point is not recognized.

I found this in the Elisp Info documentation under String Conversion.

In your case you want to use (string-to-number "f00" 16)