Re: Dvorak/Svorak in Emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Dvorak/Svorak in Emacs
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 5, 12:57 am, Johan Andersson <johan.rej...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Raven, looking at those movement keys, they are almost like Xah Lee's
> "ergonomic emacs keybindings".
>
> Xah Lee, looking through the dvorak lisp file you provided at your site, I
> think that I could really dig those bindings, with a few modifications.
> However, I was thinking about these bindings and the shell. How do you
> survive (if you use a shell outside of Emacs) that the shell C-a, C-e almost
> always means beginning and end of line? Of do you change them there aswell?

when you opt for something that's less conventional, such as dvorak
layout, you trade for certain disadvantage... e.g. unable to touch-
type at public library, inconvenient to have co-work type on your
keyboard, some inconvenience when using some software, such as some
gaming software that doesn't respect your OS wide layout setting, some
inconvenience in using some hardware, such as those palm-sized mini-
computer that comes with a hardware keyboard with qwerty printed on
them and too small to be touch-typed even software mapped to dvorak...
etc.

similarly, if you adopt the ErgoEmacs Keybinding for your emacs... you
stop using the conventional emacs keybindings for bash... either you
spend time to tweak your keybinding system wide, or spend time to
tweak your shell's binding... or just switch memory when in shell as
you do between different apps or OSes. etc. For me, i just use emacs
default keybinding when i'm in shell... but 99% of the time i run
shell inside emacs.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/