How to get rid of ^M at end of line

From: bar tomas
Subject: How to get rid of ^M at end of line
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:14:52 +0200

Hi,
I'm working on windows xp, and I get ^M characters at the end of each
line- In fact, every time I open the document I get an additional ^M
at the end of each line. I've tried to use Replace '^M', but it
doesn't work (replaces nothing)
I've noticed that Ctrl end-of-line is set to Unix when I start Emacs,
is this to blame for the ^M? I toggle it each time back to DOS.
What should I write in my emacs init file to set Ctrl end-of-line
permanently to DOS (if this is the problem)?
Many thanks