Re: How to get rid of ^M at end of line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to get rid of ^M at end of line
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:13:52 +0200

> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:14:52 +0200
> From: bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com>
>
> I'm working on windows xp, and I get ^M characters at the end of each
> line- In fact, every time I open the document I get an additional ^M
> at the end of each line. I've tried to use Replace '^M', but it
> doesn't work (replaces nothing)
> I've noticed that Ctrl end-of-line is set to Unix when I start Emacs,

Does this (the "Unix" EOL mode-line indicator and the ^M characters)
happen to you in "emacs -Q"?  (They shouldn't.)  If in "emacs -Q" the
problem goes away, something in your .emacs init file causes this.

> What should I write in my emacs init file to set Ctrl end-of-line
> permanently to DOS (if this is the problem)?

It's rather what you should NOT write in the init file, I think.
Emacs by default preserves the EOL format of existing files, so it
should set EOL to -dos when it visits a file automatically.