Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 02:34:45 +0000 (UTC)

In article <4aac9a85$0$17751$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>,
Bruno Barbier  <bruno.barbier.cs@begin_dom.orange.fr.end_dom> wrote:
>On 2009-09-13, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>Thanks to emacsclient, you only have one emacs. The fact that you get
>a new frame or not is just a configuration setting.
>
>   (describe-variable 'server-window)
>
>I mean, the fact that things get intermixed is one goal of emacsclient
>(the other one being fast start up).

>Type M-n to open a new independent info buffer.
>And most jumping commands have a 'C-u' that jump into a new buffer.
>
>    (info "(info)Create Info buffer")

>I would use one emacs by ECB and an other one for planning, taking
>notes, etc.  You can then make emacsclient use the one you want or
>setup only the third emacs as a server depending on your needs.
>
>    From the emacs info manual:
>
>    |    If there is more than one Emacs server running, you can specify a
>    | server name with the `-s NAME' or `--socket-name=NAME' option to
>    | `emacsclient'.  (This option is not supported on MS-Windows.)
>
>    (info "(emacs)Invoking emacsclient")

Using emacsclient is pretty new to me -- and you seem to
be playing some nice tricks with it.

Please, could you elaborate a bit (or better, much more) on:

  .  the above that you wrote.

  .  your varied uses (and those of others you've seen or
     heard of) of emacsclient (and other things like it).

  .  You used the term "server".  What with the original
     emacs-run throwing off emacs-clients that seem to
     be NOT independent from each other -- sharing buffers,
     etc.  For vocabulary-creation, would that make it into
     some kind of subtype of "server"?  (Obvious to all: am
     pretty ignorant about servers, clients, etc, which is
     why I'm probing, to learn more.)

  .  Anything else you want to say.  (With the idea that
     maybe RMS could munge it into extra doc for the manual
     or tutorial or something?)

THANKS!

David