Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: LanX
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

HI Ilya

> At startup, I load MEGABYTES of external code (IMO, Emacs UI is
> untolerable without a lot of tweaking - at least it was a decade ago,
> when my configuration got more or less frozen).  Some of it is written
> by me, but most is other people code.  So I base my judgement not only
> on my code - although "the other code" is also "chosen by me", so might
> be not very representative. ;-)

Did you ever consider breaking up cperl-mode.el into different
submoduls hosted on CPAN?

It would be much easier for the perl-crowd to support patches and
maintainance if we had something like

cperl-fontlock.el
cperl-compilation.el
cperl-expansion.el
cperl-perldoc.el

together with a testsuite written in perl?

Would facilitate the collaboration of perl&emacs devs a lot!

For instance I'm trying to extend the compilation-regexes and some
projects like sepia.el (a perl REPL) could profit from cperl-
fontlock.el.

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/SEANO/Sepia-0.97/Sepia.html

And sorry to say so - some aspects of cperl-mode are very outdated,
e.g there is no up-to-date info-file for perldocs.

Maybe you're interested to join at

emacs-perl-intersection@googlegroups.com

Cheers
  Rolf

PS: BTW in xemacs I had a context-menu on right-click, offering the
cperl-mode menu do you know how to activate this in gnu emacs?