Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:45:28 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-10-17, LanX <lanx.perl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Well do you really question the benefits of modularizations and
> plugins? :-)

> Modularizing would lower the danger to break the whole package

To modularize, one needs to define boundaries

> making changes and plugins easier.

Given the amount of people's interest in changes and plugins, I doubt
that the total of the work will be "easier".

Given enough incentive, yes, I might spend 100 hours (estimated) to
define demarkation lines, and document/interface all the stuff which
crosses the lines.  This would slow CPerl down, but with progress in
CPUs, this may be forgotten.

I just do not see how these hours could save 100s of hours of work for
other people - to justify my investment.  Without this, the incentive
must be pretty tempting...

> The actual trend is to develop perl-editors like Padre or Kephra which
> are extendable with perl.

Keep in mind that perl has - in a certain sense - very limited
usability when working with strings.  (See my interview with Perl
journal for more details.)

>> a) I do not find it outdated.  (IMO, HTML (and PDF) are not suitable
>>                                 for documentation.)
>
> IIRC the info files for perl were very outdated (2001), very hard to
> find and had even problems.

The info files are as old as you make them.

>> b) How would removing it help somebody?
>
> I've spend two days to find the (depressing) answer for a)
>
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=782153
>
> That's too hard for a beginner...

How should I fix it?  (IIRC, the hard part is getting the word
`pod2texi'.  I expect that googling for this would quickly lead one to
an answer.)

Yours,
Ilya