Re: New config file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: New config file
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 19:08:31 +1100

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Please explain to me, in maybe a tutorial way that can get included
> in the emacs-manual, what's wrong with plain old .emacs in HOME dir?
>
> I mean, this is looking like a big deal.  Every book (rms, ETC) and
> *info* on emacs says to do it that way, as far as I can remember.
>
> Has that "official policy" changed recently, and if so, why, and
> where documented.

As far as I know, this has not changed (at least not under Linux/Unix).

There are alternatives for those who find doing so can create 'clutter'
in their home directory, such as putting it in .emacs.d and there are
some who like to have the custom stuff in its own file. However, as far
as I know, ~/.emacs is still the *standard* way of doing it.

What makes you believe it has changed?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au