Re: changing word boundaries

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: changing word boundaries
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:08:08 +0200

Ernest Adrogué <eadrogue@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> The Catalan language has a ligature consisting in one
> "l" character, followed by a middle dot ("·"), followed
> by another "l". See here for more details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L·l#Catalan
>
> Is there a way to make emacs aware of this, so that it
> doesn't treat a word containing "l·l" as two separate
> words?
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS. Please CC me, if you reply to this.

You could use dynamic syntax-tables via font-lock.

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda nil
            (set (make-variable-buffer-local
                  'parse-sexp-lookup-properties) t)
            ;; get font-lock started
            (unless font-lock-defaults
              (setq font-lock-defaults '(nil t)))
            (add-to-list
             (make-variable-buffer-local
              'font-lock-syntactic-keywords)
             ;; let ! between 2*a have word syntax

Replace `a' and `!' with your characters and it'll work,
hopefully.

-ap