Re: Emacs Gnus open error?

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:33:13 +0200

Shenli <zhushenli@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have used Emacs for several month, love it and try to use it as a
> mail/news
> client.
>
> After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
> custom-set-variables
> '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))
>
> I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.
>
> "Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
> nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"
>
> My environment is WinXP and Emacs23.1.
> Any suggestion is welcome!

As Richard pointed out, this is a news-group not a server.  Gmane is a
free server, which can be used w/o registrations.

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "Gmane"
             (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

Here is something to get you started.

;; start gnus
M-x gnus RET
;; Group buffer -> Server buffer
^
;; move point to news.gmane.org and press
RET
;; search gmane.emacs.bugs and press
;; quit server buffer
qq