RE: How to get to info mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to get to info mode
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:53:11 -0700

> > I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> > files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't
> > get to INFO mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in
> > "Text Fly" mode and I cannot use the links to see related info.
> > How could I set it to info mode?
> >
> > Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> > goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
> such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET
>
> You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.

Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).

If that is a major mode, check the value of `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.