Re: Moving to beginning and end of a list

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Moving to beginning and end of a list
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:20:03 +0200

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> I have found these two functions very useful especially when do lisp
> hacking and designing clever macros:
>
> (defun move-beginning-of-list ()
>   "Move to beginning of list, before first element."
>   (interactive)
>   (while (ignore-errors (backward-sexp) t)))
> (global-set-key [(meta shift ?a)] 'move-beginning-of-list)
>
> (defun move-end-of-list ()
>   "Move to end of list, after first element."
>   (interactive)
>   (while (ignore-errors (forward-sexp) t)))
> (global-set-key [(meta shift ?e)] 'move-end-of-list)
>
> Does Emacs contain something similar by default.

AFAIK, no.

There is a nice minor mode to edit sexps: paredit
but it doesn't contain these features.

http://mumble.net/~campbell/emacs/

Slime contains a _function_ slime-beginning-of-list, that could be
wrapped in a command, but no slime-end-of-list.

Notice that to keep consistency with emacs lisp beginning-of-line,
end-of-line, beginning-of-buffer, end-of-buffer, etc, you should name
them beginning-of-list and end-of-list.

Similarly, emacs lisp contains functions that would allow to implement
them more easily (and possibly, more generally):

(defun beginning-of-list ()
  "Move to beginning of list, before first element."
  (interactive)
  (up-list)
  (beginning-of-sexp)
  (down-list))

(defun end-of-list ()
  "Move to end of list, after last element."
  (interactive)
  (up-list)
  (down-list -1))

It might be a good idea to propose inclusion of these functions to
paredit.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__