Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?

From: Will Willis
Subject: Re: Any way to use tramp under Windows XP?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:06:48 -0500

You can have your cake and eat it too: cygwin + putty

http://code.google.com/p/puttycyg/

and to top off the windows experience, take a look at XKeymacs for all the other applications you use, http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/oishi/indexen.html

-Will

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> "Theo R." <shortsightedsid@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It definitely does. All you need is PuTTY. Configured.
>>
>> I'm using tramp to access my linux box from WinXP all the time. It
>> doesn't need PuTTY but uses windows FTP.
>
> That would be ange-ftp rather than tramp which you are using.  Tramp
> goes through a shell account, not ftp.

Yeah and I can tell you from experience that the best way is to use
`plink'. Its one of the `putty' set of tools.

Google up the `putty download page'  and get putty, plink, pscp,
psftp'

All will be useful at some point.  In emacs, to use plink it very
similar to ange ftp

 /method:user@host:/path/file

 C-x C-f /plink:myuser@host:/some/directory/file
 (Where myuser is the user on `host', you will login as)

Plink as method works from vista too, where ssh as method never seems
to (for me).

Also the putty terminal.. if you want to ssh to windows, is quite a bit
nicer than the one with cygwin.

The one big calling card for a cygwin terminal (for me) is that it
speaks smb.. if you have shares setup on the network hosts.

cygwin terminal can do things like:  `cd //host/share'

I'm told you can get smb (as method) to work in tramp too but I
haven't been able too. But since I had an array of other methods.. I
didn't try all that hard.