Re: greek fonts for emacs on linux

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: greek fonts for emacs on linux
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:16:51 +0000

Micha Borrmann <usenet2009@mb.sy.gs> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
> letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
> OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
> instead of greek fonts.

I assume `linux' actually means GNU/Linux under X, not the Linux
console.  I'm surprised you don't get Greek by default, but what happens
depends on your Emacs version, amongst other things.

Define a suitable fontset using the fonts you have -- see "Defining
Fontsets" in the manual -- or maybe use a sufficiently-comprehensive
single font, like iso10646 versions of misc-fixed.  xfontsel(1) may be
helpful.