Re: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:19:51 +0000

Gunnar Vestergaard <post@gunnar-pv.fo> writes:

> What I desire is a combined PHP and HTML 4 editing mode. That is,
> syntax coloring and line wrap for each line of a PHP document which
> also may contain hypertext markup between ?> and <?php tags.

That's backwards.  <?php ... ?> is an SGML processing instruction, and
the PHP is its content.

> And while we are at it, why not throw in Cascading Style Sheet syntax
> coloring? CSS is written between <style type="text/css"> and </style>
> tags in the same type of documents.

[It's typically better not to inline stylesheets like that, but it's
still good to have hooks for special treatment of element content in
SGML-ish modes.]

> Whether to implement this in Emacs itself or to provide it as an
> optional install package is an open question, from my point view at
> least.

The Emacs maintainers don't seem to be interested in contributed support
for PHP or multiple major modes since I was involved, but see
<URL:http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/> for both.  The PHP mode
doubtless needs work, but doesn't have the lexical problems people
complain about with others.  There's a simple html-php multi-mode based
on multi-mode.el.  I haven't had time to make it work with nXML mode.