Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 03:48:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> I have no experience with such test rigs, nor with any the many Emacs
>> test frameworks, and I have time neither to review them, nor to write
>> my own.  But I would very much welcome some test framework to be
>> installed in Emacs's CVS repository such that I can easily add tests in
>> the "test" subdirectory for simple low-level tests.
>>
>> Being able to have higher-level tests would be nice as well and is
>> indeed a hard problem in general, but it's not a prerequisite at all.
>
>> Any help would be greatly welcome.  E.g. help to review of the various
>> Elisp test frameworks out there, highlighting their advantages and
>> shortcoming (to help choose one), and then help to set it up for Emacs
>> (e.g. adding Makefile rules to run the suite).
>
> I'll put it no my lists of things to do.  If there's any interest at all
> in the results of the research, I'm more likely to take the trouble to
> do it.

Of course there is. The most difficult thing seems sometimes to be the
authors of different packages to work together so we can get the best
out of it without the burden of many similar packages. Getting things
together and comparing is very difficult and takes time however so it
is not surprising.

There is a page on EmacsWiki about the available packages. Maybe
cleaning up and rewriting that page can be a good start?