Re: coding systems

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: coding systems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:31:46 +1100

Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu> writes:

> What is the simplest possible thing I can do to convince emacs
> to never, ever, bug me about what coding system a file should be
> saved under?
>
> For extra points, a solution that minimizes data lossage would be
> nice, but not strictly necessary from my point of view.  I just
> want the "Select a coding system" question to go away.

What version of emacs? There have been considerable changes, especially
in emacs 23 that may affect what solution is best.

It has been a long time since I've even seen this question. From memory,
when I moved from emacs 21 to emacs 22, I seem to remember an issue
related to coding systems. It turned out to be due to a configuration in
my .emacs that I required for emacs 21, but caused confusion for emacs
22. However, at about that time, I also moved from a C locale on my
system to a UTF-8 one. From memory, current-language-environment was, in
emacs 21, "en" and in emacs 22 and later, is "UTF-8". I don't know for
sure if it was the changing to a UTF-8 locale or the changes in my
.emacs or both that helped emacs determine the correct coding system. I
have also changed jobs and now get fewer files with different coding
systems, so its hard to tell for certain.

Given the improvements in emacs 23 for coding systems, I'd recommend
upgrading to emacs 23 if your not already using it and then start
diagnosing the issue to find a solution.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au