Basic questions about elisp

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Basic questions about elisp
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 03:13:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm trying to learn elisp and have a couple of basic questions.

I'm iterating over a list using dotimes, but in the body of dotimes,
the list can mutate. For example I have:

  (dolist (elt lst)
    ;; some codes
    (nconc lst '(2)))

This adds/appends a new element to 'lst' list. It looks like 'dotimes'
doesn't like it.

So I eventually wrote it like this

    (setq i 0)
    (while (< i (length lst))
          ;; some codes
          (x-nconc lst '(2))))
      (setq i (1+ i)))

which is a bit ugly, is there another way to do that ?

I also need to iterate over elements of a vector.  I basically use a
'while' loop as above. Is there any helper to do that, I looked at
"(elisp) Sequences Arrays Vectors" but found nothing appropriate.

And finally, is it the good place to ask such questions about elisp ?

Thanks