Re: improper display of multibyte characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: improper display of multibyte characters
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:23:08 +0200

> I'm doing some dev work on my laptop running Kubuntu.  My compilation
> window is not displaying multibyte characters correctly.
> Specifically, the output I should be seeing is e.g. ')', but I see
> instead â\200\230)â\200\231.  (My example single quotes should be left
> and right quotes..)
>
> All of my other debian boxes work just fine, but Kubuntu on my laptop
> makes me want to scream right now.  My display table is nil on all
> machines.  What is going on here?

What version of Emacs is that?

In any case, I suggest to compare the values of these environment
variables on the systems that work and the one which doesn't: LC_ALL,
LC_MESSAGES, LC_CTYPE, and LANG; and the values of the variable
locale-coding-system inside Emacs.  That should give you a hint about
what's going on.