Re: has frames behavior changed?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: has frames behavior changed?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:02:09 +0100

Charlie Zender <zender@uci.edu> writes:

> hi,
>
> this message refers to using emacs 22.2.1, and
> prior versions, on ubuntu linux.
>
> once upon a time, until about 6 mos. - 1 yr. ago,
> each emacs frame i opened behaved like a sub-process
> of a single emacs process, e.g., if the same buffer
> were displayed in multiple frames then editing that
> buffer simultaneously updated all the frames.
> now, though, when i open multiple frames in emacs,
> the frames do not seem to know what's going on in the
> other frames. i have not changed how i start emacs
> at all. i like the old behavior better. anyone know
> how to recover it?

If you really create new frames (and not launch a new emacs instance),
then I serriously doubt that you cannot see all the buffers from all
the frames.  Use C-x C-b in all your frame and check that you get the
same buffer list from every frame.

To create a new frame, you can use C-x 5 2 or M-x make-frame RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__