emacsclient behaves differently depending on the way the server was sta

From: tramp
Subject: emacsclient behaves differently depending on the way the server was started
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:30:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi!

I am using emacs-23.1 build directly from the sources.

When i start emacs -nw or emacs i can use umlauts. As far as i can tell
this is due to the environment variables (It works since i have set
LC_ALL)

but if i start the emacs server with

emacs --daemon

and use the emacsclient with
emacsclient /tmp/x

in an x terminal

I can not use umlauts on the emacs frame on this terminal.

I have reproduced this behavior on redhat and openbsd so i do think that
this is not connected to the installed system.

But if i start the server from an emacs instance running outside an
terminal (X11) i can use umlauts if i use

emacsclient /tmp/x
(on the grafical emacs instance)

and if i use

emacsclient -nw /tmp/x

on the terminal

Can please someone outline the difference of the server start from the
commandline and from inside an running emacs instance?

I would love to use emacsclient as my editor and to let it start the
server as needed with the ALTERNATE_EDITOR="" setting. Can someone tell me
how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance
Tramp