Re: print with DejaVu font from emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: print with DejaVu font from emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:23:11 +0100

Am 11.11.2009 um 17:12 schrieb harven:

Thanks for your reply.
Instead of converting to html, I think I will just open the file in the browser and print from there. DejaVu is also used as the default monospace
in my browser.

That's exactly what htmlize.el and htmlize-view.el do: they prepare an Unicode encoded buffer easily as HTML which is then "sent" to an external HTML viewer (a so-called "browser") which can use the OS' desktop mechanisms to print that Unicode contents as PDF Unicode.

I am a bit surprised by your comment on postscript not supporting unicode.

PostScript is 8 bit! It might be elder then you. PostScript fonts can larger, maybe contain 1,000 glyphs. These are accessed by an encoding, which is 8 bit. TeX, a bit elder then PS, is essentially 7 bit. The trick of a "virtual font," something like a "fontset" in GNU Emacs, allows it to access two 7-bit encoded fonts as if it were one 8-bit font. Similarly by using a whole stack of encodings TeX is able to access some percent of Unicode. Particular mechanisms in TeX and in PostScript allow to print in CJK.

BTW, I am not that sure that your GNOME desktop creates PostScript files! (It would necessitate CID fonts.) You can easily check this by disabling the printer queue. Then any print output is queued in but not sent to the printer. So you have (almost) infinite time to locate the queue's content and check the files' type – possibly with super- user privileges. And I am sure you'll find PDF...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Encryption, n.:
A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of computer manuals.