Re: Fonts not displayed

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Fonts not displayed
Date: 13 Nov 2009 11:22:49 GMT

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Joost Kremers wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having a weird font problem on a recent install of Emacs, as shown here:
>>
>> http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/Emacs-font-weirdness.png
>>
>> As can be seen, the text in the text area looks like a bar code or something.
>> The fonts in the menus is not affected, but the tool tips are.
>>
>> This is on a Ubuntu 9.10 for PowerPC installation, with Emacs 23.1.1. The
>> screenshot shown here is an Emacs instance started with `emacs -Q'.
>
> What does `C-u C-x =' display when point is before one of the bar code
> characters?

Nothing unusual, I'd say:

        character: ; (59, #o73, #x3b)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x3B
           syntax: <    which means: comment
         category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x3B
        file code: #x3B (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x1E)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: SEMICOLON
  general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)

There are text properties here:
  face                 font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
  fontified            t

>> I've tried selecting a different font through the menu "Options | Set Default
>> Font...". This does change the dimensions of the Emacs window (so some
>> adjustment to the new font is made), but any font I've tried is displayed in
>> the
>> same way...
>
> Does that affect the font information displayed by `C-u C-x ='?

All that changes is the font name.

BTW, if I start Emacs with a non-xft font, text is displayed normally.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)