RE: Filling -- dot space

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Filling -- dot space
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:43:06 -0800

> Currently, fill procedure does not break lines at space after dot if
> there is only one space. I find such behavior very annoying and would
> be happy to switch it off. But how?
>
> Also, I'm curious about the rationale for such behavior.

In English, using a typewriter, the convention is to use two spaces after a
sentence. This convention is carried over to Emacs, and makes some sense for a
fixed-width font.

Other languages have different conventions for spacing after (and before)
punctuation.

See user options `sentence-end-double-space', `sentence-end-without-period', and
`sentence-end'. See also the Emacs manual, node `Sentences'.