Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:47:33 +0100

Am 15.11.2009 um 12:42 schrieb Stefan Kamphausen:

#!/bin/sh

test -x "$emacs" ||
emacs="$HOME/local/opt/emacs-23.1/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ Emacs"
test -x "$emacs" || emacs="/usr/bin/emacs"

exec "$emacs" ${SSH_CONNECTION:+-nw} ${SCREEN_IN_SSH:+-nw} "$@"

For me Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs has problems to interpret and receive all command line arguments...

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, NS apple-appkit-949.46)
 of 2009-08-02 on imac
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

is this Help menu in Emacs' frame or in the  menu bar? The X clients
can't "delegate" the menu-bar...

It's in the menu bar, just like a native OSX application.

So it's the Aqua or NS or GNUStep/OPENSTEP "Emacs.app."

If I hit AltGr-Backspace and do the C-h l afterwards I see:
M-(sharp s) C-h l
(I can't insert the real sharp s in this emacs, I currently use to type
this post, but it is displayed as a "normal" sharp-s in the help
buffer).

Have you tried Character Palette (Zeichenpalette)?

Another thing I noted: the described behavior occurs with that keyboard layout I loaded from the net as well as with the original osx layout. I
toggle those using a little icon in the menubar and applications like
e.g. the terminal that shipped with this computer reflect the changes
immediately: with the original layout I see a question mark upside- down
if I hit AltGr-Backslash but with the custom layout I get a backslash.
Funny, that makes no difference in Emacs.

xev didn't help either.

Exactly. Xev and X11 are not Aqua.

Is this considered a bug, shall I sent that report?

If, then to Apple. It's obviously Mac OS X which does not produce the proper key events and has no idea of the "modifiers" of your keyboard. But it's also Emacs.app which has problems with keys of non- English keyboards.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
                                – Buck Henry