Re: mail files Incomingxxx

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: mail files Incomingxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 03:00:21 +0200

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:13:11 -0500, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).  I just notice
> a bunch of file in my main mail directory named Incomingxxxxx for
> various xxxxx.
>
> I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
> put into my mail folders.

No, these are the temporary files Gnus creates when you pull email.  In
development versions of Gnus the value of `mail-source-delete-incoming'
is nil, so they are left around and garbage collected later.  See the
manual sections ``Gnus Development'' and ``Mail Source Customization''
for a few more details.

> How can I ask emacs/gnus to process these files.
>
> They are few enough (couple dozen) that if they all came into some
> catchall group, I would have not problem putting them in the
> appropriate groups myself.

You don't need to process them.  If you are certain that no email has
been lost and everything has been spooled into a Gnus folder, you can
just delete these files.

Even if you don't delete them, Gnus will delete them after a few days
(the number of days that the "Incoming*" files are kept around is the
value of `mail-source-delete-incoming').