Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontificat

From: senny
Subject: Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontification
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:16:34 -0800 (PST)

On 17 Nov., 15:01, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM, senny <yves.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey there
>
> > I am looking for a way to edit java-script and css snippets in a HTML
> > document with their corresponding major modes. I've tried some of the
> > multi major mode solutions but found most of them buggy and performing
> > slowly. Recently I found the indirect-buffer feature of emacs. This is
> > exactly what I am looking for but it somehow breaks fontification.
> > When I clone a region into an indirect buffer the code does not get
> > highlighted correctly.
>
> > This seems only to happen when the original buffer is visible in an
> > other window. when I only edit the indirect buffer, then fontification
> > works as expected.
>
> > Is there a workaround for this problem?
>
> Perhaps try latest version of nXhtml? Which version have you tried and
> what problems did you find. Did you report any bugs in nXhtml?

I tried nXhtml when I used emacsW32, which was about two or three
months ago (cant remember the exact version number of nXhtml). The
mode felt kinda clumsy for me. I did not report any errors because I
didn't looked into the details, why things are not working. My
impression of nXhtml was, that it was slowing my cursor movement down
a lot and that it had some unexpected behaviours from time to time.

The other thing is, that I am looking for a flexible solution, I am
editing a lot of different template languages (jsp, esp, rhtml) and
it would be cool to use the same solution for all these cases. Thats
why i was heading for the "indirect-buffer" approach.

Regards,
Senny