Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontificat

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontification
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:44:47 +0100

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM, senny <yves.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >  - When I call (cleanup-buffer => starterkit function to indent,
>> > untabify and trailing whitespace removal)
>> >    It takes like 6 seconds to clean the buffer where nxml mode takes
>> > around half a second.
>>
>> Is this for the example you sent me? That sounds a bit strange. Can
>> you please send me a copy of cleanup-buffer so I can see what it does?

I tested this a bit more and found that you are right. It is the
indentation that takes so long time - but only when you use a multi
major mode that has nxml-mode as its main mode.

I do not know what to do about it but I will keep it in mind. (I have
one solution in mind right now...)

> This discussion is probably not the right place to start a discussion
> about nXhtml
> features and bugs. You should probably name me a place where we can go
> into
> detail about the bugs I have with nXhtml mode.

Yes, please go to Launchpad, https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bugs
(this is mentioned on EmacsWiki and in nXhtml documentation). I am a
bit curious about what problems you have found.

> To conclude: I am still looking for a fontification fix with the
> "indirect" buffer
> approach. All the fuzz i just had with one page and nXhtml shows me,
> that I am better
> served with a quick and dirty solution. I need things to work fast and
> work as expected.

I have no opinion on that, of course. (I believe you will save time
using nXhtml instead, but that is just me.) Using a personal quick and
dirty solution is indeed sometimes very useful.

> Of course there could be conflicts with nXhtml and my .emacs
> configuration (which
> has grown fairly large and is available here:
> http://github.com/senny/emacs-configs)
> but I don't have the time to dig into nXhtml and figure out how
> everything works.

It should normally be no problem as long as those things are correct.
I looked at cleanup-buffer and that should work perfectly well with
nXhtml.

The difficult problems I see normally comes from either incorrect code
in users startup files or problem with using nxml-mode parser in multi
major modes. Since the nxml-mode parser also gives a lot back
(completion+validation) I still think it may be useful. (I have turned
off the use of nxml-mode parser by default in Emacs 22 because of
this.)

And of course all my +-1 position type bugs when I write the chunk
dividing functions.