Re: LISP Questions - random, random elements and memory management

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: LISP Questions - random, random elements and memory management
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:16:14 -0500 (EST)

From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:44:24 -0500

> How about putting it in a text file that you load into a temporary
> buffer when you need it?  Then kill the buffer when you're done with it.

I was thinking about this.  The only real issue is with figuring out a
good lifecycle for the buffer that wouldn't leave the user confused
("Hey, where did this buffer come from?") or result in the file being
loaded/unloaded frequently enough to cause delays.

At this point, after dicking around in the Emacs Lisp manual, I'm
going to keep this as a "load" in my .emacs and assume that anyone who
wants to use the code will either do the same, or set up an autoload
expression if they care about memory usage.  When I know more about
provide/require, I'll probably revisit it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Jeff