Re: Telnet Connection on Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Telnet Connection on Windows
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:07:20 +0100

Paul Heinrich Dietrich <paul.heinrich.dietrich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> I've read a lot of threads here and hours of pages with broken links online,
> and am wondering what's the current best way to use Telnet through Emacs on
> Windows?
>
> Please don't say M-x telnet
>
> I've run across a lot of suggestions like jtelnet, mostly with broken links.
>
> I've successfully connected to my destination computer with tramps, but
> still need telnet functionality that doesn't work in dired.  Who here uses
> telnet in Emacs on Windows?  Thanks.

If you could connect your remote host via Tramp, then you could use
eshell. Both cooperate.

Let's say you are able open "/plink:user@host:", getting an dired
buffer. Then you can also apply "M-x eshell". In the eshell buffer, you
could do "cd /plink:user@host:". Now you can apply commands on the
remote host.

I haven't tried it on Windows, but it shall work this way, starting with
Emacs 23.

Best regards, Michael.