Re: How to avoid SPACE TAB in a file?

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: How to avoid SPACE TAB in a file?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:04:11 +0000

Ulrich Neumerkel wrote:
It occurs to me occasionally that I happen to write SPACE TAB in a buffer
saved into a file.  This is mostly when I edit files with different
tabbing conventions.

Is there are general clean minor-mode or other way to avoid writing
this combination in general?

Hi Ulrich,
If you want emacs to always insert spaces instead of tabs then you can put
(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
in your .emacs.

This needs to be set for each buffer, so it should be put in a hook like
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook '(lambda ()
   (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)))

You'll need to replace 'c-mode-hook  with the correct hook for the
editing mode you use. Most of them are named after the mode's main
function.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller
--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.