Re: emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1

From: quodlibetor
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:54:58 -0800 (PST)

I had this problem with M-x customize, here's what I did to break it
further in order for me to be able to customize things. (That is, this
works for me but I think I'm setting fire to my hard drive. You have
been warned)

First, I set `debug-on-error' to `t'

     M-: (setq debug-on-error t) RET

Then I did M-x customize (in your case M-x w3m) and, in the debug
buffer that popped up, I looked for the defun that failed, which
should be underlined, which means that it's a link. If you click on
it, it should take you to the file that is (setq)ing widget-mouse-
face.

Then, I commented out every line (setq)'d widget-mouse-face (I had to
start an editor as root to be able to edit the file.)

Then, I saved it.

Then, I

    M-x byte-compile-file RET

'd it.

Then, I restarted emacs, and it worked.

This feels like the wrong thing to do, but it works, and really,
widget-mouse-face *shouldn't* be important to the functionality of
anything, but god knows what the developer uses it for.