Re: Automatically viewing diffs while composing changes with vc-mode

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Automatically viewing diffs while composing changes with vc-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:35:05 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 23, 4:02 pm, Matthew Dempsky <matt...@dempsky.org> wrote:
> Whenever I'm composing a changelog entry for vc-mode, I like to be
> able to view the corresponding diff.  Currently, after I use 'C-x v v'
> to create the *VC-Log* buffer, I immediately press 'C-c C-d' to open
> the *VC-Diff* buffer.  Then after entering my changelog entry and
> committing with 'C-c C-c', I always immediately close the *VC-Diff*
> buffer.
>
> I was wondering about ways to automate the extra steps.  I'd
> appreciate any concrete suggestions on how I could achieve this
> behavior.
>
> Thanks.

i've never used vc-mode... don't know what it is except just reading
about it's inline doc now. I suppose many others here haven't either
so maybe you are not getting answer...

you could define easy shortcut keys, for example, f4 for going log
buffer, f5 for going to diff buffer, f6 for closing the current
buffer... (if you don't know how to do that, see:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html )

might involve a bit elisp code since the buffer you want may depend on
the current buffer's name. But to give concrete elisp code i need to
know...

ohterwise, if you can explain more abtractly what you need without
reader having knowledge of vc-mode... i could help more. For example,
in what exact situation in tech terms you want what action to be
taken. (if, your need actually do have such unique description.
Because sometimes something seems simple on the surface but there's a
lot implicit assumptions that makes automation hard or impossible.)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/