Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem

From: Rthoreau
Subject: Re: Maildir folder nnmaildir problem
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:32:33 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 28, 9:35 pm, CHENG Gao <cheng...@cyberhut.org> wrote:
> Since you use fetchmai to handle mail retrieving and deliver to Maildir
> directly, you only need:
>
> ,----
> | (setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "mymailbox" (directory "~/
> | Maildir/")))
> `----
>
> Then you may need to browse nnmaildir server to subscribe to groups.
>
> nnfolder is the default archive method if you did set otherwise
> correctly.
>
> You can try:
> ,----
> | setq (gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+mymailbox:"
> |           gnus-update-message-archive-method t
> |           gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
> |           "nnmaildir+mymailbox:sent-news" "nnmaildir+mymalbox:sent-mail")))
> `----

I decided to add some debug info into my .gnus.el file and it seems
that nnmaildir is not being loaded at all.  Here are the relevant
lines of debug code. It looks like it is reading the file with
nnfolder, and does not even use nnmaildir maybe something else needs
to be configured.
-------------------------
Reading /home/llacr/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file from news.gmane.org via nntp...
Reading active file from nnmaildir+llacrbox: via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on nnmaildir+llacrbox:...done
Reading active file from nnmaildir+llacrbox: via nnfolder...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done
Connecting to nnmaildir+llacrbox:...
Reading active file...done
Connecting to nnmaildir+llacrbox:...done
-------------------------

I did try your suggestions, and will provide what my .gnus.el looks
like.

;;; nnmaildir procmail settings
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))
;;;
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "llacrbox" (directory "~/
Maildir/")))
        mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Maildir/" :subdirs ("cur"
"new")))
        mail-source-delete-incoming t
;;;
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method "nnmaildir+llacrbox:"
           gnus-update-message-archive-method t
           gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
           "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-news" "nnmaildir+llacrbox:sent-
mail")))
;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;; NNTP Servers
;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t )
-------------------------
This is what I see in my server gnus buffer.

{nnfolder:nnmaildir+llacrbox:} (opened)
     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)

I did delete the .newsrc.eld file when I made the major changes as you
can see I don't even get the nnmaildir group to even click on.  But I
think it is due to the fact the nnfolder is doing all the work.  The
only reason I choose nnmaildir and Maildir, is the fact that is where
procmail, and fetchmail were depositing my messages.  I could tell
procmail to use the other folder but I was debating if dovecot would
be useful as I do have a gmail account which is imap capable.  I also
was using fetchmail before setting up procmail and fetchmail defaulted
to the Maildir and so I just followed procmail as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far I appreciate the time you take
to reply.

Rthoreau