Inhibit auto buffer split when buffer is already visible?

From: charlie
Subject: Inhibit auto buffer split when buffer is already visible?
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:58:33 -0800 (PST)

My usual setup is to have two frames side-by-side and use the left-
hand frame as the main editting window and the right-hand frame as the
secondary and messages window. When I'm editing C code I like to keep
a *compilation* buffer visible on the right. Previously when I did an
M-x compile on the left emacs would only split the left-hand buffer if
the *compilation* buffer was not visible but now (since I upgraded) it
splits the buffer every time so I often end up with *compilation*
shown twice. Can I inhibit this behavior?

I've noticed that this happens with other some modes e.g prolog-mode
always splits the buffer when you C-c C-l a file.

Cheers,
Charlie