Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 01:49:25 -0700

B. T. Raven wrote:
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
You should be able to wrap that in a defun and put it in your emacs as is.
What happened when you tried?

After connecting to server and channel I see:

and: Symbol's value as variable is void: rcirc-server-buffer

server buffer name is irc.dal.net:6667 in buffer list but
Atlanta.ga.us.dal.net in mode line. I suppose that mismatch is normal?
Nothing was copied out of dictionary buffer into channel buffer at point
(ERC>)

The version of rcirc.el distributed with Emacs 22.3 defvar's
rcirc-server-buffer, so it has a global value (nil) and buffer-local-value
will not signal an error (for any BUFFER argument).  This leads me to conclude
that you have not loaded the 22.3 rcirc library, but some other IRC client.

In emacs -Q, `M-x rcirc' creates and selects a buffer named *irc.freenode.net*;
it also creates a buffer named #rcirc@irc.freenode.net, where `C-h v
rcirc-server-buffer' yields #<buffer *irc.freenode.net*>.

How does that compare with your experience?

If you want to use a binding that is "in keeping with traditional key
assignment philosophy", then use C-c LETTER.

Yeah, I know but I'm already using all of those. But those bindingS are
just for inserting single unicode characters so they could be reassigned
now that ver. 23 represents unicode internally.

26 letters times lower/upper case = 52 bindings -- a very small subset of
Unicode indeed.  You would probably benefit from using an input method --
probably one of the Latin methods as you appear to be in the UK, or perhaps
one of the UTF-8 methods.  See `M-x list-input-methods', `C-h I' and
`C-x <RET> C-\'.

Hope that helps,

--
Kevin Rodgers