Re: Vertical cursor movement in Emacs 23.1

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Vertical cursor movement in Emacs 23.1
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:41:46 +0200

On 2009-12-06 22:23 (-0800), D. Yong wrote:

> I recently upgraded from Emacs 21.3 to 23.1 on my Windows computer and
> noticed that the cursor movement is now different in version 23.1.
>
> When I use the arrow keys to move the cursor vertically from one line
> to the next, the cursor does not stay in the same column *unless* the
> previous key press was an up or down arrow.

Seems like you have found this bug:

    "next-line and previous-line don't keep the column in
    text-scale-mode"

    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3668

> Can someone confirm that this is the case, or better yet, tell me how
> to fix this strange behavior so that emacs will maintain the same
> column when moving the cursor vertically from one line to the same?

I, too, wish someone would fix the bug. :-)

If you have more information, please add it the the bug report. Just
send mail to address <3668 [at] emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com>.