Re: comint or start-process

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: comint or start-process
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:00:35 -0700

Xavier Maillard wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking of using SQLite in a non interactive way for stuff
I am developing.

As far as I know, there is nothing to play with sqlite
programatically in emacs. I know there is `sql-sqlite' based on
comint but it seems it is not designed to be run non
interactivaly (maybe I am wrong).

My plans are quite simple:

- connect to my db
- execute queries
- parse the output to retrieve my data
- disconnect

The retrieved data will be used later in my mode.

Questions: do I really need to do something with start-process
and friends or do you think I can hack around comint (and/or
sql-sqlite) ?

I'd start with sql-sqlite: you should be able to get something working
pretty quickly, and if it turns out to have features that get in the way
you'll be familiar enough with it to drop down a level to comint.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA