Re: scroll-conservatively but still cursor *sometimes* still jumps off

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: scroll-conservatively but still cursor *sometimes* still jumps off bottom
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:08:04 +0100

> I noticed that when moving down through big files, *sometimes* the
> cursor will jump from bottom of screen to middle.
>
> Any idea why this would happen only some of the time?

Because Emacs' redisplay is unable to keep with the scrolling. Before
23.1, with scroll-conservatively set to a large value, Emacs never
jumped; now it tries no to do it, but sometimes it fails. I think the
relevant ChangeLog entry is this one:

2008-10-27  Chong Yidong  <cyd@stupidchicken.com>

        * xdisp.c (try_scrolling): When computing the distance from the
        scroll margin to PT, try moving some distance past the window
        bottom before giving up.

    Juanma