Getting rid of "Open File" item

From: Mark Tilford
Subject: Getting rid of "Open File" item
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:15:21 -0600

I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu.

I'm used to "Open File" meaning "Open an existing file, if there is
one; otherwise, create a new file and open it."  The "Open file" item
in this version of emacs will only open existing files.  Is there a
way to remove "Open file" from the menu bar (and optionally relabel
"Visit new file" to "Open file")?