Re: Problem advising nreverse.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Problem advising nreverse.
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:12:08 -0500

In article <mailman.13027.1260909564.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> wrote:

> > pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> >> See: (info "(elisp)Advising Primitives")
> >
> > Well, but I didn't find even single word there describing cases when
> > it does not work to advise a funciton.
>
> Sorry, my mistake. In fact, this topic does tell about when advice won't
> work, but it tells exactly opposite to what actually happens:
>
> "Calls to the primitive from Lisp code will take note of the advice, but
> calls from C code will ignore the advice."
>
> Now, in my case `nreverse' is called from Lisp code, not from C code, so
> according to the manual advice must work, right? And there is no single
> word about differences in behavior due to byte-compiling.

Byte compiling effectively changes it to a call from C code, because the
byte code is a direct reference to the primitive.  "Called from Lisp
code" means interpreting Lisp source code, since that indirects through
the function name, which is where advice is stored.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA