Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:08:35 -0500

Cecil Westerhof wrote:
Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

I already use 'emacs -batch' for scripting where no user input is
used, but I would like to use it also for interactive scripting. Until
now I did not find any usable information about this. Anybody using
Emacs for interactive scripts?
I suggest using some Common Lisp implementation instead. They are more
general-purpose Lisp dialects I like CLISP.

    #!/usr/bin/clisp
    (format *query-io* "Type something: ")
    (format t "You wrote: ~A" (read-line *query-io*))

works for me.

I'll try that. I already understood that elisp is 'old' and that clisp
has a lot more possibilities. One thing. Using your script gives:
    ./dummy.lisp: line 3: format: command not found
    ./dummy.lisp: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    ./dummy.lisp: line 4: `(format t "You wrote: ~A" (read-line *query-io*))'

these are not clisp messages.
these look like (ba)sh messages.

Using 'clisp dummy.lisp' works.

maybe clisp is not installed as /usr/bin/clisp?