Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:42:49 +0100

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:
>

>> It is not a big deal, but when the script is put on another system and
>> on this system clisp is in another location, the script has to be
>> modified (or a link has to be created). But halving the execution time
>> is important enough.
>
> There is a trick used by other scripting languages to get around the
> issue of the script interpreter being in a different location and for
> those systems which only handle 30 characters in the #! line
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # the next line restarts using the interpreter foobar \
> exec foobar "$0" "$@"
>
> I wonder if something like this could work.

Sure.

[pjb@hubble :0.0 ~]$ cat ./s
#!/bin/sh
#| Both a lisp and sh comment.
exec clisp "$0" "$@"
|#
(princ "Hi") (terpri)

[pjb@hubble :0.0 ~]$ ./s
Hi
[pjb@hubble :0.0 ~]$

WARNING: This product attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe, including the products of other manufacturers, with a
force proportional to the product of the masses and inversely
proportional to the distance between them.