Line number in mode-line with column-number-mode on in GNU Emacs 23.x

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Line number in mode-line with column-number-mode on in GNU Emacs 23.x
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:51:58 +0100

Hello!

In compilation mode it happens that the line number is substituted to "??" although I've set line-number-display-limit to nil, i.e., GNU Emacs should not stop counting. I also set line-number-display-limit- width (first) to 625, although some lines can be as long as a few 10,000 characters (later set to 62,500, but no change).

Is there a way to force display of the line number? Is it suppressed because of duration of high CPU load?

--
Greetings

  Pete

                                – Mark Twain