Re: Help with Gnus and Gmail

From: galen_boyer
Subject: Re: Help with Gnus and Gmail
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:00:50 -0500

Wang Lei <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:

> Mario Castelán Castro <mariocastelancastro@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
>
> I use the nnml as the backend. This is part of my config, hope useful.
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server "imap.gmail.com"
>                :port 993
>                :user "xxx@gmail.com"
>                :password "secret"
>                :authentication 'login
>                :stream ssl
>                :fetchflag "\\Seen")
>              (imap :server "imap.gmail.com"
>                     :port 993
>                     :user "yyy@gmail.com"
>                :password "secret"
>                :authentication 'login
>                     :stream ssl
>                     :fetchflag "\\Seen")))

I followed this advice.

I put my login info only into the .gnus.el (username and password changed)

     (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
     (setq mail-sources '((imap :server "imap.gmail.com"
                    :port 993
                    :user "myusername@gmail.com"
                    :password "secret"
                    :authentication 'login
                    :stream ssl)))

The above was the only thing in the .gnus.el.  I then started a fresh
Emacs and then started Gnus.

Here is the *messages* buffer directly after logging into GNUS (minus
the messages from starting Emacs:

     Reading c:/Users/nrp0219342/Home/.newsrc.eld...
     Ignoring disappeared server `nnimap:gmail'
     Reading active file via nnml...
     nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
     imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
     imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...done
     Waiting for response from imap.gmail.com...done
     imap: Plaintext authentication...
     nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
     Reading active file via nnml...done
     Generating the cache active file...done
     No new newsgroups
     Checking new news...
     Opening nnml server on -ephemeral...done
     Checking new news...done

What is fishy is the "Ignoring disappeared server" line.

After Gnus is started, I do not see an imap group and the servers buffer
does not have an imap server anywhere.  My imap email account has unread
messages in it.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--