Re: Can I keep budget using Emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Can I keep budget using Emacs?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:13:29 +1100

Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.invalid> writes:

> Is there any mode to keep notes about how I spend my money?
>
> I am just very interesting to try some mode like keeping budget. Or is
> there some mode like Excel in emacs?

There are a few solutions.

1. Org mode has some basic abilities to do simple spreadsheet like
operations and I think there is a contrib package for org to provide
simple ledger style operations.

2. Emacs 22 and 23 come with SES (Simple Emacs Spreadsheet), which could
be used to maintain data on expenditure etc.

3. John Wheatly is working on a command line ledger/accounting program.
As John has done lots of emacs development (Muse, Planner mode etc) it
is likely he is also factoring in an emacs interface (just an assumption
on my part)

4. emacs has Calc mode and while this may be using a sledge hammer to
crack a nut, it could possibly do what you want.

5. depending on your needs, it probably wouldn't be too hard to use
something like edb (Emacs database mode), emacs forms etc to roll your
own.

the first thing I would check ot would be org mode as you get so much
other stuff with this mode.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au