Re: problems with efont

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: problems with efont
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 23:01:20 +0100

Am 02.01.2010 um 18:22 schrieb Peter Münster:

I tried
-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-20-140-100-100-m-120- iso10646-1

Sorry for my late reply, I had some other things to do – and particularly to remember my experience with efont! From this XLFD name I cannot tell anything. You could! For example by removing elements of the X server's font path (and rehashing the remainder) and see when this font vanishes from the list. But this can be faulty: GNU Emacs might use fontconfig (the user supplied side, which is able to provide the font's file name!). In the end the font can be part of the Lucida bitmap fonts in X11. Its size indicator points into this direction. Usually scalable or vector fonts can be deduced from their pixel and point size of 0 points.

The result is here: http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/emacs/screenshot-4.jpg
It seems pale and pixelized. Is this normal? What do you think?

To me only "(" and ")" look pixelised. This can be due to poor performance of the rendering engine in your X server.

I don't know, if this font comes from Java. I get the fontnames from
"xlsfonts".

Check which shared libraries your version of GNU Emacs uses! If libfontconfig is among them then it will use fontconfig and you have its utilities fc-list or fc-match. Some possible commands (in case you're new to this):

        fc-list :lang=el,ar,he | sort
        fc-list : file family lang
        fc-list : file lang spacing | grep spac | egrep 'lang=.*th'

Can you reproduce the problems with efont?

I remember that I tried efont and had the same problem: the width of LCR (Latin, Cyrillic, Greek) glyphs was much too wide, maybe adapted to that of complex CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) glyphs. It might be OK for CJK use...

In my Mac OS X system the Lucida TrueType fonts are in /System/Library/ Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/<version>/Home/lib/fonts. File names: LucidaTypewriter*.ttf.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.