Re: ses

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ses
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:34:56 -0500

> Got a minute to explain an SES spreadsheet?

You may get a bit disappointed: SES is a very primitive spreadsheet, so
some of the features you're asking for simply don't exist.

>   - name cell A `Date' and right align it?

Not sure what you mean by "name".  You can set its value to "Date" (a
string) or to `Date' (a symbol), so that's what will be printed at
that spot.  Depending on whether you use a string or a symbol, it will
either be right aligned or left-aligned, so, the answer to your question
may be:

   ' D a t e RET

>   - name cell A1  `Expense' and left align it?

That would then be:

   " E x p e n s e RET

>     (or can one do both of the above in two lines in cell A?)

No, SES doesn't handle multi-line cells.

>   - enter today's date in cell B?

There's no such automatic facility in SES.  You'll have to define
a corresponding function for that.

>   - make column A auto-fit and data right-aligned beneath the
>     right-aligned column name?

There's no "auto-fit" feature.
Numbers are right-aligned, so the alignment might just work.  Note that
the alignment is fairly naive, e.g. it doesn't know how to align on the
decimal ".".

>   - (assuming I can then add subsequent dates by inserting new columns
>     in the future,) name cell C `Subtotal' and enter a formula for that
>     column that adds the amounts of the row?

Something like:

  = (apply 'ses+ (ses-range A2 A20)) RET

-- Stefan