Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:24:31 -0800

Hi everyone,

I have a small problem. I usually have to develop code remotely. (usually across the Atlantic :) ) The connection is not always very stable. Whenever there are any network problems, TRAMP keeps trying to reconnect to the remote machine.

My problem is whenever TRAMP is trying to reconnect, the whole emacs session hangs. The only way out of this situation is to wait for the connection to be established (not always practical as often it might take over 10 mins for the network to be back to normal) or kill emacs with `kill -9'. And since I usually run emacs in server mode, this means loosing a really complicated session with lots of buffers on several remote machines.

Is there any way I could tell emacs not to reconnect when this happens? I tried running `ps uf -u `whoami`' and kill the shell running the hung ssh process. But that only re-spawns the process again.

Is there anyway around this? Hopefully I have explained my predicament clearly. Thanks for any advice on this.

--
Suvayu